Technical writing in English
Writing Skills | Business English | Seminar
Technical expertise doesn’t necessarily translate to writing expertise. Are you writing to your full potential, ensuring that your technical documents are concise, precise and readable? Would you like to save time without impacting quality?
Who’s it for?
This hands-on seminar is aimed at product managers, engineers, and technicians needing to communicate requests, findings, explanations or instructions in a clear, concise and easily understood manner. Typical participants want to reduce the time required to develop professional and accurate technical documents that will be understood and well received by their intended audience.
What are your outcomes?
By the end of the training intervention you will have:
- understood the key principals of technical writing
- become familiar with the various patterns of technical writing
- developed time-saving planning skills
- understood how to ensure clarity and accessibility
- learned to grade the detail of text to match your readers
- learned accurate editing and proofreading techniques
- grown in confidence when writing technical documents in English
- Appreciating the responsibilities of the technical writer
- Writing with the end in mind
- Dispelling myths about “effective writing”
- Grading your writing to the skills and knowledge of the audience
- Maximizing clarity by using the three controls of technical writing
- Knowing how to make sentences reader-friendly
- Appealing to readers with a direct and active style
- Understanding the importance of using action oriented verbs
- Knowing the limits of the passive form in writing
- Presenting ideas in discrete, understandable chunks
- Attracting readers’ attention with clear subtitles, bullets and lists