Working effectively in virtual teams
Working in teams and virtual teams | Soft skills | Seminar
Virtual teams work across time, space, and organizational boundaries — and they are becoming increasingly common. As these virtual teams interact through technology and only occasionally meet face-to-face, it is important to rethink and sharpen the way we collaborate and communicate in English.
Who’s it for?
This practical seminar is for line managers and specialists who are, or will be leading virtual teams or working in virtual project teams. Typical participants want to:
- understand the complexity of virtual teams so they can maximize their individual and team successes
- acquire practical tools and techniques for communicating and collaborating in virtual teams
- overcome the virtual challenges of isolation, distance and loss of team focus
What are your outcomes?
By the end of the training intervention you will have:
- identified the essential characteristics of an effective team and an effective virtual team
- developed awareness of your natural team role
- prepared to overcome the threats common to virtual teams
- sharpened your communication skills
- implemented tools to measure and monitor your virtual team’s performance
- Identifying the characteristics of an effective team
- Developing awareness of your “team player preferences” (Belbin)
- Comparing and contrasting the challenges of working virtually
- Identifying opportunities and threats in virtual teams
- Avoiding the virtual team PIT (personal, intercultural, technology)
- Performing a virtual team health check
- Launching a successful virtual team
- Leading virtual teams – new skills and new behaviors
- Building communication strategies
- Reflecting on the 6 key rules successful virtual teams follow
“Is a horse a zebra? One of the most common problems I see is people assuming that a team and a virtual team are the same – meaning the skills and behaviors are the same. There is clearly a huge overlap, but some skills and behaviors become so much more critical when you aren’t all working in the same office. Identifying and strengthening these skills plays a key part in this seminar.”
You might also be interested in
Effective teams in business, as in sports, don’t happen by chance. A combination of the right players, clear goals and processes and efficient management helps a team to reach its goals. This seminar will equip you with the knowledge and skills to manage and participate in highly effective teamwork.