Research shows that when we work in virtual teams managers tend to praise far less. In an earlier life, I worked as an analyst for an international corporation in Boston. A large part of my job was generating weekly reports and sending them off to various people. I never received a response, so I never knew if what I was I was doing was adding any actual value. This lack of feedback, whether positive or negative, was sometimes demoralizing.
It is vitally important to praise a job well done
Everybody likes to know that they are doing a good job and are on the right track in their tasks and projects. Working in virtual teams can feel isolating – and it’s motivating to know that your work is being noticed.
Praise does several things:
- It improves the morale of both the team and the team member
- It motivates people/teams and increases productivity
- It’s an opportunity to give positive feedback
- It builds commitment
Email phrases for praising performance
Here are 17 phrases you could use the next time you want to praise one of your team members (or all of them) in writing:
- The work you did on the project was outstanding.
- You are an asset to both our team and our organization
- Your performance this past year has been exceptional.
- The quality of your work is routinely excellent.
- Your professional attitude is much appreciated.
- I have been very pleased with your efforts.
- Your extra effort and dedication have made this project a success.
- I must commend you for your dedication to our team.
- You have made a great contribution to the project.
- Your consistent professionalism has ensured the success of this project.
- You have been an invaluable addition to our team.
- Thank you very much for taking the initiative to find a solution to the problem.
- You can take pride in the work you have put into this project.
- The success of this project is a direct result of your efforts.
- Your enthusiasm and passion are exemplary.
- Your disciplined approach to problem solving led directly to this project’s success.
- You earned my respect with your inspiring performance on the project.
Mix and match and be specific with your praise
It is easy to mix and match the phrases in order to personalize how you want to praise each of your team members. For example, if you take #3 and #6, you can change it to: “I have been very pleased with your performance this year.” Or, you can use two or more and combine them into one sentence: „I have been very pleased with your efforts, you have made a great contribution to the project.“
Who doesn’t like praise?
Everyone enjoys receiving praise, don’t they? My colleague, Kate Baade, wrote in a recent post that it’s important to point out the positives as and when they happen. Don’t wait until the once a year performance appraisal interview to give praise. Kate, I fully agree.