How can I improve my English when I’m not in the training room? I think that probably every one of my colleagues (including myself) has been asked that question more than once. The simple answer is: exposure. The more you expose yourself to the language you are learning (through films, conversations, books, apps, etc), the more you will learn. Following my post about popular business English apps, I have made a list of audio books that I hope you’ll find interesting.
Tips for improving your English with audio books
- Make sure you approach the audio book with the right attitude and expectations. The goal isn’t to understand everything – but rather to get the key points.
- Read the summary information before you start so you understand the general idea of the book.
- Listening to a book is not the same as reading one. Even native English speakers will drift in and out. If you don’t understand everything, just rewind!
- One play is not enough: repeat, repeat, repeat! Listen as many times as you want or need to.
If you don’t want to listen to something related to business, there are thousands of free audio books available online that you can choose instead. This is especially good for building your vocabulary!
Top audiobooks and themes
Audiobooks by Spencer Johnson
- Who moved my cheese: An amazing way to deal with change in your work and in your life
- Peaks and valleys: Making good and bad times work for you – at work and in life
- The One Minute Manager (with Ken Blanchard)
Biographies from top business people
- Business stripped bare: Adventures of a global entrepreneur by Richard Branson
- The snowball: Warren Buffett and the business of life by Alice Schroeder and Kirsten Potter
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Audiobooks by Bill Bryson – funny cultural insights
- Notes from a small island (Britain)
- I’m a stranger here myself: notes on returning to America after twenty years away (America)
- In a sunburned country (Australia)
Top business books that are currently trending
You might also want to check out companies like http://www.audiotech.com/business-summaries/ that offer audio summaries. And don’t forget to download a copy of our latest eBook “How to learn vocabulary”.